X-Files

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
So what does everyone think about the X-Files reboot? I'm still on the fence with the show as a whole- it seems like it's lost its way.

LordSlithor

Staff member
Haven't managed to see it yet. To tell you the truth, I kind of lost interest in The X-Files a long time ago. I really couldn't get all that worked-up about the revival. And you're not the only one who's said that I'm not missing much. :\

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't managed to see it yet. To tell you the truth, I kind of lost interest in The X-Files a long time ago. I really couldn't get all that worked-up about the revival. And you're not the only one who's said that I'm not missing much. :\
There was always something about Chris Carters writing style that I could never get on with. There is never really any pay off to the story.. and when you do get it, it feels haphazardly thrown in at the last minute. But I've, unfortunately, had a lot of time on my hands recently so I gave it a watch.

If you watch it, let me know what you think.

Stingray

Staff member
Well if you stack the new X-Files up against most of whatever else is on TV it's pretty good considering all the junk reality TV that is out there.
The first couple of seasons of X-Files where they did a "monster of the week" were the best. After they introduced the whole alien conspiracy thing it started to loose steam.

I've only seen a few episodes from Season 11 so far but Season 10 felt too sort and introducing some kind of alien connection was Mulder and Scully's child was kind of eh...I dunno. They also started to introduce some political commentary in the character dialog which I think we didn't really need. I don't care what their political views are. I want to hear more about Mulder's subscription to Celebrity Skin.

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you stack the new X-Files up against most of whatever else is on TV it's pretty good considering all the junk reality TV that is out there.
The first couple of seasons of X-Files where they did a "monster of the week" were the best. After they introduced the whole alien conspiracy thing it started to loose steam.
I agree. I've always liked shows that had the "creature of the week" formula. Star Trek T.N.G. had the formula down pat. They would have stand alone storylines with an over-arching story going on in the background. Supernatural really did it well in first couple of seasons and then went insane for about 4 seasons.. then got it right again... and then they got mired down in soap opera storylines again.. so I've kind of given up on that show.

Stingray

Staff member
Chris Carter has said he modeled X-Files on the Kolchak: The Night Stalker series from the mid 70's and it did indeed start off great with each episode being encapsulated and being stand alone. When X-Files originally aired I appreciate that because I could tape the episodes which aired on Friday night and still go out drinking or whatever. Once the show moved to Sunday that wasn't so much an issue in conflicting with my social life.

I really liked The Lone Gunman and when they spun that show off they could not have done a shittier job. One the plus side I did listen to a podcast stating that one of the producers of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul was also involved with The Lone Gunman and has stated that is he ever got enough notoriety in Hollywood he would reboot The Lone Gunman tv show. So hopefully that is something being tabled and may be coming down the pipe.

I got through the first 4 season of Supernatural and than just kind of stopped. It's in what season 14 or something now?

LordSlithor

Staff member
Close. Season 13. I can only speak for myself, but I'm kind of amazed that show has been around this long and that I still find it worth watching. That "Scooby-Doo" crossover they had last week was a real hoot!

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
The Night Stalker was a great series. They should try to bring that back (done right, of course) along with "In Search Of". That would be the perfect friday night team up along with Ancient Aliens.

Stingray

Staff member
Close. Season 13. I can only speak for myself, but I'm kind of amazed that show has been around this long and that I still find it worth watching. That "Scooby-Doo" crossover they had last week was a real hoot!
Ok, Scooby Doo crossover has got me interested. Details??

Stingray

Staff member
The Night Stalker was a great series. They should try to bring that back (done right, of course) along with "In Search Of". That would be the perfect friday night team up along with Ancient Aliens.

The Kolchak remake was horrible. It didn't even try and capture the quirks of the original. I tapped out after about 3 or 4 episodes. I don't even think it lasted the whole season before the network canned it.

Someone told me the original Kolchak is on ME TV...it's channel 2 on FiOS not sure about Comcast.

LordSlithor

Staff member
It is. But I have it on DVD. So I can watch it anytime I want. :)

Interestingly enough, I thought TCM was going to show the second Kolchak TV movie, "The Night Strangler" tonight. Turned out, though, that it was really a movie called "Night of the Strangler" starring Mickey Dolenz. Disappointing to say the least. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Top chatters