Retro Gaming

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
This forum is specifically for discussions related to retro games and hardware (arcade, console and computer). You can also talk about new games and hardware for retro systems in here as well.

LordSlithor

Staff member
Not so much with RetroPie. But I bought one of those AtGames Intellivision Flashback consoles a few years ago, and had it sent to a guy who upgraded it by swapping out the innards with a Raspberry Pi, giving it HDMI support in the process, and including some games that weren't on the original release! :)

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Any new developments with RetroPie? I have not had mine turned on in a while.
RetroPi is changing almost everyday. They are making custom builds that feature specific consoles and even specific genres. You can find builds for devices other than RasPi, such as Orange Pi, ODroid C2 & X4 or even the ASUS Tinkerboard.

A good site to grab all of the latest builds is Arcade Punks. And some good YouTube channels to watch for news are Drew Talks and Mad Little Pixel.

If you update your build let me know what image you're going for and how you like it.

It looks like Amazon is now selling 200GB micro SD cards so that is kind of nice. I felt pretty limited with 128 GB.

I've got to get a good labeling system down for the mess of SD cards I have floating around now. I'm adding this to my list of projects I want to get done. I took a brief look at the Youtube channels and they look pretty good and up to date so that's good.

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like Amazon is now selling 200GB micro SD cards so that is kind of nice. I felt pretty limited with 128 GB.

I've got to get a good labeling system down for the mess of SD cards I have floating around now. I'm adding this to my list of projects I want to get done. I took a brief look at the Youtube channels and they look pretty good and up to date so that's good.
Yeah, the 200gb images have started to really take off. Personally, I like the smaller 8-32gb targeted collections. I've found a lot of the larger images to feel a bit laggy. I've got the images that I like burned off and just flash them when I need them.

I really like the idea of having everything on one card but if it will cause performance issues that sucks. The largest card I have some far is 128 GB and I didn't notice any issues in the few hours I spent experimenting. I can't recall the name of which image I had (might be Dirty Dave's) but I was likely my custom build selection better. I'm pushing about 8 TB of ROMS from various systems sobuying 8 TB of SD storage would be pretty expensive. Although I could probably buy a couple of 200 or 250 GB SD cards and prune down just the games I really wan to play for each system.

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
The largest card I have some far is 128 GB and I didn't notice any issues in the few hours I spent experimenting. I can't recall the name of which image I had (might be Dirty Dave's) but I was likely my custom build selection better.
Yeah, the speed issues on larger SD distros is normally down to the inclusion of video snaps. With the smaller distros (8gb - 16gb) they tend to just use pictures. I use video snaps on my retro pc, but that's a 4th gen i5... so it's able to handle it a lot better than the Pi 3.