Altered Carbon...

Stingray

Staff member
Anyone have any thoughts on Altered Carbon? I loved it. Very gritty, dark future. Very Blade Runneresque and a good bit of nudity to keep you interested. I believe the book it was based on even won the Philip K Dick award.

Not a spoiler - but if you've never seen an artificial intelligence Edgar Allen Poe with shotgun and ceiling mount gatling gun killing the shit out of some people you need to watch at least episode one.

LordSlithor

Staff member
It's on my Netflix queue. I fully intend to watch it, once some of the other network shows wrap-up for the hiatus.

Stingray

Staff member
Sweet! I'd like to hear your thoughts after viewing.

I've got a little bit of a lull in my shows now. I'm working on Humans Season 2. I know Ash Vs Evil Dead Season 3 has started so I will probably get on that. If anyone has any good suggestions that are not reality tv or shows about lawyers, hospitals, police, or any type of first responders I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Anyone know if The 100 is coming back?

Game of Thrones is what June now?

Dark Matter is cancelled but somehow Killjoys is coming back...ugh.

LordSlithor

Staff member
There's been no news on The 100 or iZombie for that matter. The CW is expected to make a decision next month, according to Variety, But I have a feeling they'll be back too.

I like The Expanse. That's a great show. iZombie is a lot of fun too. And I've been hearing good things about Netflix's upcoming Lost in Space reboot.

I also happen to like The Orville. But your mileage may vary depending on how much you like Seth MacFarlane. Personally, I think it's really good. It's not as raunchy as MacFarlane's other offerings. And in fact, it stays lovingly faithful to the spirit of the original Star Trek. Some fans even think it's more Star Trek than Discovery is (But I think discussion of that show ought to be reserved for another thread).

Stingray

Staff member
I'm kind of anxious to see what happens with The 100. I know it usually started up sometime early winter and I didn't see anything for it this year. The last season ended on an interesting note and I would like to see what happened.

I only watched season 1 of iZombie. I just lost track of it and was too busy to stay up with it after that.

I agree The Expanse was good. I just have reservations about SY-FY not screwing something up. I mean I could see how some people could be into Van Helsing because we need strong women characters in EVERYTHING now but Wynonna Earp? That was probably one of the worst shows they ever aired. I hope they don't screw up The Expanse.

Do you recall a mini series they ran in I think 3 parts. It was about this space ship that generation after generation of people were born on and they had been travelling in space for like 90 years or something? Were their plans on developing that into a series beyond that? I can't recall the name right now.

Netflix is doing the Karate Kid series too. I'm going to a screening of the original movie and the first two episodes of the series in a few weeks.

LordSlithor

Staff member
I know the show you're talking about. It was called Ascension. I thought it was pretty good. And then there was that twist where you find out it was a weird social experiment and they had been on Earth the whole time...until the very end where it appeared one of the characters transported themselves to another planet. Sadly, it was never picked up for series. And I haven't read anything about what their plans were if they had.

Stingray

Staff member
Yes, Ascension, that was it. I was really hoping that would have gotten picked up. I think there is a lot that they could have done with it.

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I just finished up Altered Carbon a few days ago. I thought it was great. I went into the series not expecting much, but I think they pulled off the concept extremely well... especially the cast system that would form in society with that kind of technology.

So if there is a season 2, does Takeshi start the season in his own body?

Good shows to watch:
  • Blacklist. Mainly for James Spader. Raymond Reddington is simply a fantastically funny, violent and unpredictable character.
  • The Expanse. Probably the best "hard sci-fi" show currently on. Great novels too by James S. A. Corey.
  • Blindspot. Bit of a guilt pleasure. Cheesy storyline.. but has a bit of action, intrigue and Jaimie Alexander in it.
  • Jessica Jones. Didn't like season one.. but loved season two. And who doesn't like a bit of gumshoe detective work.. or Krysten Ritter.
  • Legion. I loved this show. A confusing story told in a confusing way. Follows the son of Charles Xavier. Give it a couple of watches.. Season 2 just started this week.
  • Stranger Things. Needs no explanation. This is probably my current favorite TV show. Love the characters, the retro 80's vibe and the Lovecraft.
  • Krypton. An alternative retelling of the story of Krypton through the eyes of Kal-El's grandfather (Seg-El). I didn't really expect to like this... but I love it so far.
  • The Flash. Of all of the DC shows, this is my favorite. Has a tendency to get stuck in their story archs but I believe they are trying to address those issue. But, I've always liked the flash. Still a fun time to be had.
  • Luke Cage. Had a lot of fun with this show. Follows the story of Luke Cage (Power Man). Great urban hero story with a fun soundtrack.
just a few.

Stingray

Staff member
I've got the first episode of Krypton but haven't seen it yet. I'd have to agree with Stranger Things being my favorite show right now. If you like Eleven she was really good in the Intruders TV series too.

Ash Vs. Evil Dead season 3 is probably up next for me.

Still waiting on Game of Thrones. Last season just felt so rushed but our friend Ben is working on the show now so that's a plus.

Any Sean Bean fans? You guys might want to check out The Frankenstein Chronicles.

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
What the hell is Ben doing on Game of Thrones? I though he was still researching the mysteries of the elongates skulls.

Ash vs. Evil Dead is great... The fight scene in the sperm donation clinic is a definite highlight in the season so far.

Love Bean.. but he never sticks around too long before he gets killed. How is The Frankenstein Chronicles? It looked kind of eh from the previews. My favorite Sean Bean movie has got to be Equilibrium. Great Gun-Fu work on that flic.

And, of course, the obligatory Sean Bean death scene.

Stingray

Staff member
Ben has been working on Game of Thrones since I think the end of Season 5. He got his masters from Yale in archaeology and promptly moved to LA. He did a brief stint on the voice as a paid production assistant, got married to some Ukrainian girl so she didn't go home and is dating a girl who did the costuming for the Warcraft movie. He was back in early January for a few days before heading over to Ireland to do more GOT stuff. I'll text you the picture of him on the Iron Throne.

Frankenstein Chronicles is pretty short. I think only 6 episodes. If you are familiar with the novel and such it's worth a watch. Mary Shelly is actually a character in it and it's kind of fun.

Penny Dreadful does a better job of capturing the time period though.

At least Bean survived in Pixels!

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Just post the pic here.

I'll give Frankenstein Chronicles a shot... Penny Dreadful doesn't really seem up my alley but I know a lot of people that like it.

Don't get me started with Pixels...

Stingray

Staff member
If you ever have any ideas for scripts Ben is the guy to talk too.

He's also looking for people to do some voice over work for some of his personal projects he is working on developing.

LordSlithor

Staff member
Who's this Ben guy you're talking about? I feel like I'm a bit out of the loop.

I think the only other actor tied for Sean Bean who's never had his character live through a movie is Sean Pertwee (son of Jon Pertwee).

Seriously, I've seen him in several films, including Event Horizon, Dog Soldiers, and Doomsday. And he dies. Every. Single. Time.

Haven't heard of The Frankenstein Chronicles. But I do know of Penny Dreadful. And it's on my Netflix queue. Been wanting to get into it. Plus, it's got Eva Green.

Yeah. Krypton I was pleasantly surprised by. I really liked what I've seen of the pilot. The other two episodes are on my DVR and i plan on watching them tomorrow. So far, so good.

I'm also with you on Stranger Things. Last season was great. And I liked the new characters, like Max. She's the kind of girl I probably would have crushed on hard at that age.

The Flash has been pretty good. Though I do agree with some reviewers in that it seems to have been dragging of late. Of the "Arrowverse" shows, I'd rate the following from best to worst:

1. Legends of Tomorrow
2. Supergirl
3. The Flash
4. Arrow

I'll probably ditch Arrow for good after this season. It's just been sort of meh.

Luke Cage was pretty good, but eventually I lost interest as I just didn't find the story was holding my attention. On the other hand, by contrast, I like the new CW show - Black Lightning - a whole lot better.

I didn't see Pixels. But it pissed off MovieBob. And anything that pisses him off is something I'd probably go see just out of spite.

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
The Flash has been pretty good. Though I do agree with some reviewers in that it seems to have been dragging of late. Of the "Arrowverse" shows, I'd rate the following from best to worst:

1. Legends of Tomorrow
2. Supergirl
3. The Flash
4. Arrow

I'll probably ditch Arrow for good after this season. It's just been sort of meh..
Haha.. thats odd.. My like would look like.
  1. The Flash
  2. Arrow
  3. Supergirl
  4. Legends of Tomorrow
Oh well. :)

LordSlithor

Staff member
What the hell is Ben doing on Game of Thrones? I though he was still researching the mysteries of the elongates skulls.

Ash vs. Evil Dead is great... The fight scene in the sperm donation clinic is a definite highlight in the season so far.

Love Bean.. but he never sticks around too long before he gets killed. How is The Frankenstein Chronicles? It looked kind of eh from the previews. My favorite Sean Bean movie has got to be Equilibrium. Great Gun-Fu work on that flic.

And, of course, the obligatory Sean Bean death scene.

Stingray

Staff member
Who's this Ben guy you're talking about? I feel like I'm a bit out of the loop.

Ben is a buddy of ours most recently from a D&D campaign from about 5 years ago or so. Ben had just graduated from Yale with his masters in archaeology and having an under grad degree in film it seemed logical he move to LA and try and break into the business. He was hoping to be the next Josh Gate (Destination Truth, Destination Unknown, Legendary Locations) but Josh seems to have that niche locked up. So Ben bounced around from some crappy jobs to pay his dues and landed a gig as a production assistant on The Voice. After that he got involved with a gal who did the costuming for the Warcraft movie and is now working on Game Of Thrones as of January 2018.

Members online

No members online now.

Top chatters