A Sound of Thunder

LordSlithor

Staff member
Since this sub-forum has been kind of quiet, I figured I'd add my two cents here.

There's a great local band I made friends with last year called A Sound of Thunder. I first saw them at the Baltimore Soundstage when they opened up for Udo Dirkschneider. I was blown away by their talent. And it turned out that all of them were great people to boot. :)

They're based in the northern VA/DC area. They haven't broken big yet, but that may change (more on that in a bit). So if you want to see them, you'd have to come down to the MD/VA area to see them play. Most recently they had the honor of opening up for Michael Schenker when he played at the Fillmore in Silver Spring.

Their biggest brush with fame came when they were asked to play a music festival in Catalonia, Spain. Nina - the lead singer - has a mother who is Catalonian. And she taught her the Catalonian national anthem, "El Segadors" ("The Reapers"). Nina thought it would make a great Metal song. So the band covered it. Next thing you know, it went viral, and became a huge hit in Catalonia. If you know anything about the history of that region, they have been trying to gain independence from Spain for a long time. And that song hit at a time of renewed interest in the independence movement. And last December, they played to a stadium packed with thousands of fans. Not bad for a local Metal band from Northern Virginia!

They have several CDs already and I own most of them: Metal Renaissance, Time's Arrow, The Lesser Key of Solomon, Tales From the Deadside, and Who Do You Think We Are? Their latest, It Was Metal, is due out any day now...

And they've got a bunch of nerd cred. Nina and her husband Will are both really into board games. Josh the guitar player is a big comic book collector. Their album Tales from the Deadside was done in collaboration with Valiant comics, and was a concept album based on their character of Shadowman . And they've got a lot of established comic book artists from the likes of Marvel, DC, and Valiant working with them. And of course, the band takes its name from the same short story by Ray Bradbury. So they've got their bona fides. :cool:

I've even invited them to these forums, becuase I thought they's have a lot of valuable and interesting contributions to make. I know they've expressed interest. Guys? Guys???

Anyway, here's the video fro "El Segadors." :)

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Since this sub-forum has been kind of quiet, I figured I'd add my two cents here.

There's a great local band I made friends with last year called A Sound of Thunder. I first saw them at the Baltimore Soundstage when they opened up for Udo Dirkschneider. I was blown away by their talent. And it turned out that all of them were great people to boot. :)

They're based in the northern VA/DC area. They haven't broken big yet, but that may change (more on that in a bit). So if you want to see them, you'd have to come down to the MD/VA area to see them play. Most recently they had the honor of opening up for Michael Schenker when he played at the Fillmore in Silver Spring.
Udo! That must must have been a Balls to the Wall night of musical entertainment! :)

Their biggest brush with fame came when they were asked to play a music festival in Catalonia, Spain. Nina - the lead singer - has a mother who is Catalonian. And she taught her the Catalonian national anthem, "El Segadors" ("The Reapers"). Nina thought it would make a great Metal song. So the band covered it. Next thing you know, it went viral, and became a huge hit in Catalonia. If you know anything about the history of that region, they have been trying to gain independence from Spain for a long time. And that song hit at a time of renewed interest in the independence movement. And last December, they played to a stadium packed with thousands of fans. Not bad for a local Metal band from Northern Virginia!
Thats great. They just need to keep that momentum up. I remember seeing Type-O Negative at a relatively small venue in Philly back in the the early 90's... right before Bloody Kisses was released and pretty much put them on the map. It just comes down to blanketing an area with shows to get your name out there until you get that one hit. At the time Type-O was pretty active from Maine down to around your neck of the woods.. but mainly NY... so that was a pretty decent target area for their size at the time.

They have several CDs already and I own most of them: Metal Renaissance, Time's Arrow, The Lesser Key of Solomon, Tales From the Deadside, and Who Do You Think We Are? Their latest, It Was Metal, is due out any day now...

And they've got a bunch of nerd cred. Nina and her husband Will are both really into board games. Josh the guitar player is a big comic book collector. Their album Tales from the Deadside was done in collaboration with Valiant comics, and was a concept album based on their character of Shadowman . And they've got a lot of established comic book artists from the likes of Marvel, DC, and Valiant working with them. And of course, the band takes its name from the same short story by Ray Bradbury. So they've got their bona fides. :cool:
Sounds awesome. They sound great, where to they sell their CD's? Local website or Amazon? I'll grab a few.. pretty much the kind of 80's-90's metal that I listen to.. which is getting ever harder to come by. Everything kind of skewed metalcore for some reason.

I've even invited them to these forums, becuase I thought they's have a lot of valuable and interesting contributions to make. I know they've expressed interest. Guys? Guys???
Crickets.. :) That's cool. They've probably got their hands full with the day to day operation of the band.. let alone any side hustle jobs they may have to do. Glad you pointed them out to us though!

LordSlithor

Staff member
Sounds awesome. They sound great, where to they sell their CD's? Local website or Amazon? I'll grab a few.. pretty much the kind of 80's-90's metal that I listen to.. which is getting ever harder to come by. Everything kind of skewed metalcore for some reason.
They have their own website. And you can get all of their CDs there.

A Sound of Thunder's website

Nina's told me, though, that their first CD, Metal Renaissance, is entirely skippable. They're not very proud of that one. Better to start with Time's Arrow.

Yeah, it was during the tour when Udo was playing all of the old Accept songs. It was them and another great band from Allentown called MindMaze, whom I'll start another thread on. They just opened for him again when he played here last month. He must have really liked their work.

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, Ian. I placed an order for their CD Starter Pack... So I'll give it a listen when it comes in.

Always on the look out for more metal. :)

Complete ASoT back catalog - a 9 CD collection, including free autograph option. This includes every available release from our debut EP up through our 2016 covers album. That's 6 studio albums, 2 EPs, and 1 single. Includes 2 releases only available in the starter pack: the 2015 Kickstarter-exclusive "Pleasure Slave" EP and the 2010 West Memphis Three benefit single "Justice At Last". (DOES NOT INCLUDE "IT WAS METAL" OR "SECOND LIVES" - Get those separately to complete your collection.) - A Sound of Thunder EP (2010) - Justice at Last Single (2010) - Metal Renaissance (2011) - Out of the Darkness (2012) - Time's Arrow (2013) - The Lesser Key of Solomon (2014) - Tales from the Deadside (2015) - Pleasure Slave EP (2015) - Who Do You Think We Are? - Also includes patch & sticker!

img-20180316-125236.jpg

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
So I got my cd's a couple days ago and I'm listening to them now.. Not sure of the order I should be listening in.. but I started with the "A Sound of Thunder" maxi cd with "walls", "archangel", "damned if i do", and "the maiden's fate"

Really decent songs.. Nina's got a bit more power to her voice than I expected... The guitar work is top notch.. obviously a lot of triples, so it's got some Maiden flair to it.. The progression is very familiar.. but I can't quite place it yet.. I'll have to give it another listen.

Edit: Sabbath... definitely Sabbath.

The CD I'm on now is Metal Renaissance and this has got a ton of things going on in just the first few song.. I'm getting classic metal guitar, some punk influences and even a bit of jazz in the drums.. and i'm only on track three. :)

I'll give more impressions as I work my way through their library. It's a shame metal is such an undervalued genre at this point or they would definitely be a household name.

Stingray

Staff member
I'm just waiting for the days when record companies are a thing of the past. That element of the music industry is so manipulative and corrupt. It's great that artists can pretty much self publish and get the word out now and hopefully make a living from selling merch, cds, and ticket sales.

It's cool that you are into Metal Renaissance since Lord S. said that is the work they are least proud of. I really liked what I saw on YouTube I might have to check them out more as well.

Last edited:

Gandalf42

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm just working through the stack top down.. not really going in any particular order. I've listened to half of Times Arrow.. I think I've got to give it another run through. It is more consistent to style. But I did like Metal Renaissance.

Members online

No members online now.

Top chatters